Boy Stole my Heart

Friday, February 6, 2009

Yes I'm pregnant, No you cant touch my belly!

This week has been a crazy one. I feel like I have gained 50 lbs in the past week. But I dont think I have gained any at all. I cant believe how much food I can consume. And the affects the food has on my body. I know which foods tend to give me heartburn and stay far away from those. Heart burn is the worst thing in the world.
So on Tuesday this week I started having contractions and they would not go away or stop no matter what I did. I called my doctors office and told them what was going on and they said to just keep track of how often they happened and for how long. They werent happening that often, just ever few hours so they werent too worried about it. They said to stay hydrated and drink lots of water and take walks when I started to have a contractions and if they didnt go away to call back and make an appt to come in and take some tests. So the contractions never stopped so I went in yesterday and the tests showed that I have an infection and that would be the cause of the never ending contractions. They wrote me a prescription for some antibiotics to take and I got back in a week to see if the infection is gone. On top of all that being totally scary to me cause I didnt know what the heck was going on, the baby stopped moving for like two days. I guess he tends to do that sometimes. But usually he moves a lot! Especially when I am upset or not feeling well. But everything is good now and he started kickin like crazy last night and this morning.
I am almost into week 25 and that means I will only have 15 weeks left! Still thats over 3 months. Haha. But it seems so far away! But then when I think about how unprepared I am for him, it makes it seem like its way too soon. I have a small collection of clothes. Just a few onezies and the camo outfit. And thats about it. I need to register this week at target. So when I get that done I will let you guys know so you can go online and see what I need. The more I look at baby stuff the more excited and stressed out I get! But I cant wait to be a mom and for my little boy to be here!




Fetal development in pregnancy week 24:This is another big week for your magical growing baby! Just take a look at the checklist for this week: 1) ears: done; 2) fingernails: done; 3) (if you have a boy) testicles: taking their 3-4 day trip from the abdominal wall to the scrotum; and 4) lungs walls: secreting “surfactant”. What’s that? Well, surfactant is sort of what it sounds like: a surface-activated fat whose main purpose is to assist the your baby's little lungs during inflation (as in, filling with air, not getting more expensive). Just in case you’re curious, your submerged baby is still breathing in amniotic fluid, preparing and rehearsing the lungs an oxygen-filled life outside the womb. By the end of this week, your child will be weighing around 2 lbs and 14 inches long. Your cutie-patootie may even be a little more plump, but isn't anywhere near their full baby-fatted cute-self. Most of the “filling out” is coming up in that long awaited (and slightly dreaded?) third trimester. Woo-hoo! Get ready!
And how's mom doing? Your little one is moving (spinning, kicking, pirouetting, shimmying, and maybe even doing a bit of the Can-Can) so much these days that if you invite your friends and/or family to touch your belly there’s a good chance they’ll get a milder sample of what you’ve been experiencing . You’ve may have experienced the oddity that is strangers who feel a protruding pregnant belly is public property and a silent invitation for belly touching. We recommend taking the belly-touching calmly and if it really offends you, just say something like: “I just fell in a large vat of anthrax.” Or perhaps something a little less aggressive, like, “Please, at the very least, ask me before touching my body.” Still, there are many women who enjoy sharing this touching ritual with others. Find your comfort zone and good luck with the rest.
Scary stuff you should be aware of: The danger of getting preeclampsia (a.k.a. Toxemia) during pregnancy is significantly higher and is characterized by significant swelling of the hands and face, excessive weight gain, blurry vision with severe headaches or abdominal pain. Obviously, swelling is common during pregnancy, but should be monitored closely, and sudden ongoing swelling to the hands and face could be a concern. Talk with your physician for more information. Preeclampsia can also be diagnosed by high blood pressure and the presence of certain proteins in your urine. Again, high blood pressure alone does not mean you are affected, but it might be something you and your physician will want to/need to monitor throughout your pregnancy. Preeclampsia can prevent the placenta from receiving enough blood, thus depriving your baby of essential nutrients and lower oxygen levels, possibly resulting in low birth weights and other problems. There are several websites dedicated to preeclampsia education such as: http://www.preeclampsia.org/.

1 comment:

Kami Taylor said...

ed on Target.com and found your baby registry. Look like fun stuff. Almost makes me baby hungry, so I'll just have to do what grandma's do and spoil your baby.